God is good is a phrase we might hear quite often or even say ourselves at times, but when and why do we say it? Do we only say it when life is going smooth for us or when something goes well for us. Are we able to say it when life is difficult?
We also might think that God should only be good to 'good' people like us. This attitude can produce anger or bitterness towards God or others when things don't go our way. We can become bitter towards those who have easier lives than us especially when they are not 'good' Christians like us.
This has been on my mind recently after listening to a couple different messages at church and also reading Psalms 73. The first part of the Psalms reads:
1 Surely God is good to Israel,
to those who are pure in heart.
2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;
I had nearly lost my foothold.
3 For I envied the arrogant
when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4 They have no struggles;
their bodies are healthy and strong.
5 They are free from common human burdens;
they are not plagued by human ills.
12 This is what the wicked are like—
always free of care, they go on amassing wealth.
13 Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure
and have washed my hands in innocence.
14 All day long I have been afflicted,
and every morning brings new punishments.
Basically, the writer is saying that he knows God is good, but that God should only be good to good people, to those who are pure in heart. The writer is jealous of the wicked who are prospering and have no troubles while he who tries to do good is only suffering and feeling punished. In the message I heard I was challenged by the idea that we try to be good people to manipulate God. We say to God, "I've been following all your commands and doing what a Christian is supposed to do so now its time for you to fulfill your part of the deal- give me what I want (nice house, job, comfort, security, etc.). This isn't how the Christian life works.
Many of us our like the older brother in the prodigal son story- we are jealous of the younger brother who screwed up but the father receives him back. We think we have done everything 'right' so now God owes us, but God doesn't owe us anything! We are missing the point. God desires a relationship with us; He is not there just to give us what we think we need. The older son was just paying his dues and waiting to receive his inheritance, but he never developed a deep relationship with his father, which is what the father desired.
The psalmist finishes by saying
21 When my heart was grieved
and my spirit embittered,
22 I was senseless and ignorant;
I was a brute beast before you.
23 Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
27 Those who are far from you will perish;
you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.
28 But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge;
I will tell of all your deeds.
The psalmist repents and realizes that through troubles and in times of need God has always been with him and guiding him and that the best thing in heaven or on earth is to be with God and to know God. Many of us can also testify that it is in the low points of life that we experience and know God's presence.
More than likely there are people in our lives who are prospering that do not know the Lord. Instead of being jealous, let us point them to Jesus. God's goodness to us does not come through money or possessions; God's goodness to us is His grace upon us through Christ being crucified in our place. No matter how hard we try our goodness a part from Christ is still filthy rags to God (Isaiah 64:6). The only thing that God owes us is eternal separation from Him but by His grace through Jesus we can be with Him and have the life of Jesus in us when we give our lives to God. So while we can be mindful and thankful for the family, jobs and health that God has given us, let us ultimately be thankful for the new life that we have through Jesus. May God our Father be our #1 desire on this earth and nothing take His place in our lives.
We also might think that God should only be good to 'good' people like us. This attitude can produce anger or bitterness towards God or others when things don't go our way. We can become bitter towards those who have easier lives than us especially when they are not 'good' Christians like us.
This has been on my mind recently after listening to a couple different messages at church and also reading Psalms 73. The first part of the Psalms reads:
1 Surely God is good to Israel,
to those who are pure in heart.
2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;
I had nearly lost my foothold.
3 For I envied the arrogant
when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4 They have no struggles;
their bodies are healthy and strong.
5 They are free from common human burdens;
they are not plagued by human ills.
12 This is what the wicked are like—
always free of care, they go on amassing wealth.
13 Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure
and have washed my hands in innocence.
14 All day long I have been afflicted,
and every morning brings new punishments.
Basically, the writer is saying that he knows God is good, but that God should only be good to good people, to those who are pure in heart. The writer is jealous of the wicked who are prospering and have no troubles while he who tries to do good is only suffering and feeling punished. In the message I heard I was challenged by the idea that we try to be good people to manipulate God. We say to God, "I've been following all your commands and doing what a Christian is supposed to do so now its time for you to fulfill your part of the deal- give me what I want (nice house, job, comfort, security, etc.). This isn't how the Christian life works.
Many of us our like the older brother in the prodigal son story- we are jealous of the younger brother who screwed up but the father receives him back. We think we have done everything 'right' so now God owes us, but God doesn't owe us anything! We are missing the point. God desires a relationship with us; He is not there just to give us what we think we need. The older son was just paying his dues and waiting to receive his inheritance, but he never developed a deep relationship with his father, which is what the father desired.
The psalmist finishes by saying
21 When my heart was grieved
and my spirit embittered,
22 I was senseless and ignorant;
I was a brute beast before you.
23 Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
27 Those who are far from you will perish;
you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.
28 But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge;
I will tell of all your deeds.
The psalmist repents and realizes that through troubles and in times of need God has always been with him and guiding him and that the best thing in heaven or on earth is to be with God and to know God. Many of us can also testify that it is in the low points of life that we experience and know God's presence.
More than likely there are people in our lives who are prospering that do not know the Lord. Instead of being jealous, let us point them to Jesus. God's goodness to us does not come through money or possessions; God's goodness to us is His grace upon us through Christ being crucified in our place. No matter how hard we try our goodness a part from Christ is still filthy rags to God (Isaiah 64:6). The only thing that God owes us is eternal separation from Him but by His grace through Jesus we can be with Him and have the life of Jesus in us when we give our lives to God. So while we can be mindful and thankful for the family, jobs and health that God has given us, let us ultimately be thankful for the new life that we have through Jesus. May God our Father be our #1 desire on this earth and nothing take His place in our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment